Saturday 30 May 2015

narcissi - jonquilla pipit, minnow, and the unknown

Typically one of the narcissi I was most impressed by this year was one I threw in right at the end just because I was feeling frivolously spendy.  I didn't have high hopes for anything spectacular.  Jonquilla pipit is just like your regular see-it-everywhere daffodil except its back to front.  The trumpet is lighter and the petals are yellow.  How impressive can it be? I asked myself.

Jonquilla pipit, nice sized flowers with lovely white trumpets set against bright yellow petals
The thing about daffodils is, they always have the capacity to surprise me. Thats a joke, providing the advertising graphics are vaguely accurate, which is my pet peeve, there is little doubt what will burst forth from the soil.  But I was surprised just how much i liked them.

See not all of the flowers quite got the colour brief, the bottom one is
completely yellow
The trumpet wasn't just pale, it was the perfect milky shade of white.  And for such a simple straightforward colour switch, it did manage to stand out amongst the vivid oranges and heavy frills of its fellow patio occupants.  However, not all the flowers have quite stuck to this theory, and as the photo below shows, some of the flowers were delightfully stripey as the colour runs between them.  This added just a little bit more interest, if any was needed, and some variety.  Im totally sold on it and can't wait to grow it again next year.

Beautiful stripey petals, love this, not sure why it doesn't manage to be consistent, but thats nice
Any long term followers of this blog may recognise this frilly wonder as they are not a fresh addition.  These are the mother's and she managed to keep them from last year so that we got to enjoy their stunning display again.  I absolutely love these, if I could choose only one narcissi out of all of my growings this year, it would probably be this one, if im truly honest with myself.

The unknown joy that is this narcissi, I love the colour, the formation,
the smell, its all good.

Unfortunately I still don't know its name, but it does bear uncanny resemblance to a large tub of salted caramel icecream I spent some quality time eating last weekend.  These look as tasty as the icecream was.
Frilly and fragrant

I remember mid April these absolutely stank.  I know your not meant to say that about something that smells nice, but these truly honked.  A good honk, but a honk non-the-less.  The mother and I spent some time one evening out in the semi-darkness sniffing them, getting a good nose-full of the pungent aroma.
Look at that shot of colour, like toffee sauce on cream
The last narcissi in my stocks is minnow.  This is a sweet little thing, multiple dainty flower heads on skinny stems.  This does not hog the attention when amongst other pots, but is lovely to bend down and have an intimate look at on the way past.  There isn't a lot to say about minnow, because to be fair, there is not a lot to it.  Small but perfectly formed with the tiniest trumpets ever, these are super cute.  I wouldn't recommend minnow over any of the others, but if one has a spare pot, why not.


And thats it!  All my narcissi covered for the year.  Next autumn I am definitely going to treat myself to some really special narcissi varieties that you can only buy over the internet, can't wait.

Small and delightful, minnow does it well


No comments:

Post a Comment