Monday 11 May 2015

Narcissi - hawera and sundisk


Hawera narcissi, a cloud of small yellow blooms
Im going through the various varieties of narcissi I grew this year, and whilst last week I focussed on the biggest, ruffled varieties, the two I am talking about today are much simpler affairs.
Hawera and sundisk are two small, simple narcissus, but are more than capable of holding their own against monsters like peach swirl.


Hawera are one of the latest narcissus to flower which is good because all the others, apart from sundisk which is also still out, are well over now so they are still livening up the patio with a pretty splash of yellow.  These differ from pretty much all the others I grew because hawera is formed of little flowers clustered together on the top of spindly stems, so when planted in a pot they form a lovely mass, like a cloud of yellow that floats around merrily in the wind.  Even the father, who is not one for commenting on blooms has willingly volunteered that he particularly likes this variety.


The flowers themselves are all that typical daffodil yellow without any variation in colour.  The consist of a small cup like trumpet with comparatively long petals stretching behind the trumpet like a star.  The great thing about this variety is its interesting up close, but is equally delightful when viewed at distance, while enjoying a cup of tea from an indoor chair for example, watching the dainty flowers bob and flutter in the breeze.


Maybe its because it hasn't been that hot or sunny since the hawera came out but these have lasted and lasted, a good couple of weeks, and they don't show any sign of going over any time soon.
I would definitely be interested in obtaining other varieties that grow in this clumping manner to add variety to my narcissus blooms. I do appear to be naturally drawn to large singular flowers, but it important to have a mix.

Sundisk narcissus, beautiful small round flowers on very straight upright stems
Talking of singular flowers, this describes sundisk perfectly.  Actually the name sundisk describes sundisk perfectly - a disk of sun.  These are very flat, two tone disks of yellow and I absolutely love them.  They remind me of very simplistic painted flowers when they are depicted from afar - just a round blob of yellow on the top of a green stem, each one very separate from the others.

I just think these are so pretty, I love the way they stand in the pot, all at various heights.  I think it was a good choice to grow these in in a rectangular long trough pot because it means all the flowers tend to face the same way so its good for putting in front of the window.


They may be singular flowers but I have got quite a few of them, just shy of thirty I would say from maybe ten or so bulbs, so they are putting on a really decent display.  And like the hawera they have lasted for ages.  I believe this is quite a cheap variety, which I imagine is because the blooms are fairly small and simple, about the size of a fifty pence piece if your British, but I think they are worth every penny.



No comments:

Post a Comment