Wednesday 13 May 2015

My week in sowing 9 - zinnia sprite and envy double

I feel like my sowing endeavours are beginning to draw to a close, my bag of seed compost is getting near being empty, and my list of things to sow is slowly running out.  I am now onto seeds I had last year and am re-sowing stuff that has either died or been eaten.  I imagine I will still be sowing the odd thing here and there as I decide I need even more annuals, but the back is most certainly broken.

Zinnia mixed sprite are nice compact flowers with tightly overlaid petals,
the colours are all very bright as well, sure to liven up a border
Zinnia - Mixed Sprite. I must now be on my fourth variety of zinnia.  I love these flowers and my big hope is that some of the resulting flowers set seed at the end of the year and I can grow some of my own as well.  Zinnia's are notorious for cross-pollination so you always end up with a weird hybrid if you grow from your own collection, but I think it would be fun to see what came up.  This is a very short variety, I have seen in growing in somebody else's garden and unlike all the other varieties I have sown the flowers do not have tall stems, or particularly big flowers either.  Really selling it here!  No it has nice qualities and will be a bonus to my stocks.  I sowed two seeds each in two pots because as I said before, soil is limited and I can no longer afford to pander to zinnia's fussy roots.

One of my few zinnia envy doubles from last year, I almost prefer them
when they are at this spiky stage as the petals slowly unfurl
Zinnia - Envy Double.  And another variety!  I have grown a few of these in the past and they are a real addition to a bunch of cut flowers.  Each bloom is completely green, so they contrast brilliantly with other bright flowers by providing a soothing green backdrop and fulfilling some of the role of foliage.  These do have nice long stems and considerable sized flowers.


Coreopsis x Hybrida - Incredible. This is my second batch of incredible.  Not because I love the flower so and therefore want hundreds.  Oh no.  Somebody ate the first lot.  All the seedlings were coming along very nicely and then one day I checked in on them, and nothing.  Nada, nowt.  The funny thing is, on the packet it says these were found growing out of concrete near the chenobyl nuclear disaster.  So it can survive a healthy dose of radiation and a thick crust, but not a slug.  So busy singing its praises was the packet, that it failed to mention being so damn tasty and in need of protection.  I had a little lip tremble on discovery, but I managed to keep it together and just get on with sowing another batch.

Poppy - Lilac Pompom.  This is one of those flowers that when I pulled it out of the bag I wondered why I had bought it.  Not that it doesn't look lovely but it does feel an odd choice to have made.  The joy of these are that they are annuals so I shall not think of them as poppys.  These will be big frilly lilac blooms.

Helenium - Autumn Sunshine. This is one of my packets of seeds from last year.  I have tried growing these before but sowed them too late so it didn't work out.  These are daisy type flowers, my favourite type.  I believe these will be a rusty red colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment