Monday 25 May 2015

Cucumbers - seedling progress report

Its a veritable cucumber seedling fest out there in the garage these days!

I have faced numerous struggles in my life, passing my driving test, choosing my career, getting enough sleep, but mainly growing cucumbers.  I know it should not be as hard as I make it seem, but to me the cucumber plant is a tetchy beast.  I have had problems with starting them off too hot and just having them wilt, little splints desperately trying to keep them upright.  I have had problems with seeds not germinating, and then randomly popping up amongst the annuals in the front border where I threw the soil.  Nobody wants cucumbers amongst the annuals.

My seedlings are now at the stage of developing proper leaves and generally
putting on a bit too much height for my liking
But that was all last year, this year things have vastly improved.  I have sown eleven cucumber seeds and I am thrilled to say I have seven proper seedlings.  Things didn't start so well, my first batch of five produced very mixed results.  One New Telegraph cucumber popped up virtually immediately on the kitchen windowsill, and ever aware of wilting, was promptly moved to the less balmy environment of the garage.  Socrates and Louisa also made an appearance within a week, and joined the seedling party in the garage.  The shock of this move proved too much for Louisa, which stopped dead in its tracks and refused to grow anymore, dying about six weeks later.  Socrates did not take this departure well and despite appearing to be loving life, it also randomly curled up and died a few days later.  The final two seeds have not germinated and remain in situ on the windowsill.  I would throw them away but I have been burned this way before.

Good strong cucumber plant that, just hope they don't all wilt when I get
them outside!
The second batch has been far more successful, producing a full house of seedlings.  These I germinated on my bedroom windowsill, although I doubt thats the reason behind the improved results.  I sowed two Louisa to make up for my loss (this was before Socrates also kicked the bucket) to give me two of each.  Im not sure where I got this theory from because I now have two Telegraph and Louisa seedlings, and one of each of the others.


Things are going well, each has produced their first proper leaf, although the next hurdle is moving them outside.  Things are beginning to get a bit leggy and I would have put them out safe in the knowledge there won't be anymore frosts being May, but there was a frost this week so maybe not.  So thats the next challenge, moving the whole operation outside and getting it all potted up.

This is the only cucumber which is potentially being a problem.  The seed leaves got very brittle and haven't grown anymore, one has even snapped in two, but its still producing proper leaves, its just very diddy!
Although seven cucumber plants will probably more than adequately meet the whole family's cucumber needs, and that of the whole street I would imagine, I plan on purchasing at least one ready grown plant.  Last year I grew Delta Star, which although isn't technically an outdoor cucumber, produced the loveliest shaped fruits and I am keen to have him back in my life.  If I have to hand out cucumbers to strangers in the street to keep up with supply that is the sacrifice I am willing to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment