Sunday 5 April 2015

Visiting Kew Gardens - peacocks, fish and a cheeky lizard

I went to Kew expecting weird and wonderful plants, and I got them.  What I wasn't expecting was the menagerie of livestock also hanging about there.  The first critter I came across was in the Palm House. I was wandering about when I came across a little girl peering through an iron grate in the floor, trying to take a picture.  I could see something green down there and naturally assumed it was a plant growing in the bowls of the greenhouse.  Instead, when I bent down for a peak I found this:

A lizard a metre or so beneath the floor of Kew, gently toasting on a pipe

This cheeky little lizard was happily warming itself on one of the heated pipes beneath the floor.  I presume he lives down there, eating insects and whatnot buzzing around the greenhouse.  Its probably a very nice life, but how he got in there I don't know.  He is either the official Palm House pet, or was snuck in by somebody trying to get rid of one.  Either was, its seems a nice life.


That's not the last of the Palm House's surprises.  The very last thing you would expect is also beneath the floor: an aquarium.  Between this and the lizard there is virtually more going on beneath the greenhouse than there is in it!  I believe the point of the aquarium is for the plants, I point lost on the mother who looked in one of the tanks and said "there's nothing in this one, what am I meant to be looking at?" The great big plant waving around, was my curt response.  There was some life about though, and the upside down jelly fish were one of my favourites.  These animals spend most of their times sitting on what is essentially their 'heads', gently pulsating with their tentacles floating in the water.  An odd sight, but if it works for them.

Sailors Eyeball Algae, bizarre but beautiful stuff
My favourite tank, and clearly others as well seeing as I had to elbow a space to see it, was the tank with the cucumber and sailors eyes.  Yes im still talking marine life.  How beautiful are these sailors eyeball algae?  They consist of one huge green cell, but they look and gleam like little glass balls.  They really were a sight, covering all the rock surfaces in the tank.  The other joy amongst the algae were the clown cucumbers.  Looking like they are wearing brightly coloured jumpsuits these creatures are poisonous, but have a fail safe method of getting rid of predators.  They give it a few of its internal organs in the hope it will go away.  It regrows them, but it still seems an odd plan.


The clown cucumber

In the Princess of Wales conservatory there are more fish.  I particularly liked these two fish because they were both dappled with gold.  Im not sure how that is possible for a live animal to be gold, but this gorgeous blue fish definitely is.  This piranha is less attractive, having one of the most miserable faces I have ever seen, but it was very glittery!

Miserable as sin at the front, glittery like a disco at the back.  This piranha has it all
This fish is just beautiful

The last animal treat on my visit was this guy.  Now I know male peacocks like to show off, but this one took the biscuit.  Originally it was hiding behind a bush but the moment I whipped my camera out he strolled out and stood right in front of me posing for all he was worth.  That bird has no shame. But I will give him his dues, he is a good looker.

He's a good looking bird this peacock, but one hell of a poser
I think he knew he was having his photograph taken, shame he didn't put his tail
out though
So that is it for my Kew posts, I had a great time in the gardens, and although I was there for the plants the animals were some of the highlights.  I know I normally blog about plants, but the odd animal thrown in here or there doesn't hurt, but back to plants from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment