Monday 20 April 2015

Spring flowers - Muscari and euphorbia


My favourite spring flower - muscari.  I just love them anywhere
It seems spring has finally sprung, at long long last.  I began to feel like I might never see the sun again and it hasn't even been that bad a winter.  With the spring comes one of my favourite little flowers.  It may be small, but boy is it perfectly formed.  Muscari, commonly referred to as grape hyacinths, are literally little bright blue bunches of grapes on a stems.  I love them in pots, I love them in sways, I will take a grape hyacinth if it popped out of anywhere.

For this reason they are a firm fixture in this years spring pot.  But they are not the only grape hyacinths in our garden now.  The mother, I love the woman, but she just can't throw anything away.  So instead of chucking away last years spring pot bulbs she dug a trench under the hedge at the bottom of the garden and stuffed them all in there in the hope that we might get a second display.  A second display is exactly what we have got.  There are a few red tulips, a few mini daffodils, but far more importantly, my favourite type of muscari.

My favourite type, a little smaller and more delicate but with two colours
I just love these little guys with their contrasting little topknots.  I would say I prefer them to the ones I bought this year, Il have to keep this in mind for buying bulbs for next year.

What a daffodil! Peachy, frilly, big and blousy.  There is nothing not to love
about this specimen 
Another bulb I am thrilled to see again is this fabulous daffodil.  What a beauty, I love the contrast in colours and the interesting structure.  Its just a shame I have to duck down under a tree and virtually climb behind a bush to see it, but its so worth the effort.  Last year we had three bulbs of this beauty, but this year its been reduced to just one.  Clearly the mother didn't keep them right over the summer.

I love a good muscari on mass, they make such a pretty carpet of blue
Something I rather enjoy doing on a boring afternoon is wandering the streets of a neighbourhood looking at peoples gardens.  Odd but true.  I just like nosing at what other people do, Im not expecting to see anything groundbreaking but its all interesting.  One garden had a lovely swathe of grape hyacinths. While I am clearly besotted with this little flower I don't have the room to let these little guys do what they really should: create a little blue sea across a patch of green.  This one garden on my trip had really done this well.  Grape hyacinths should always be grown with friends.


Finally moving on from my favourite subject another joy were these euphorbia plants.  Towering high above my diminutive height in a great clumping bush, these vibrant lime green plants really struck the eye.   I really enjoy the structure of this plant with its little disks stuck out on tiny stalks.  Reminds me of a famous textile designer I had to study at uni. I personally wouldn't want one, but I enjoy it in other people's gardens.

Euphorbia is a funny plant really, its all so green! I really like the shape of what I imagine are the flowers though, little disks on stalks.  This garden looked great with these great lime green clouds

Lastly was this strange beast.  I will happily admit I have absolutely no idea what this plant is, I have never seen it before as far as I know.  I love round things so the perfectly cylindrical hanging fruits/seeds/things? appeal greatly.  It was a very tall plant but very striking one.


No comments:

Post a Comment