Thursday 16 April 2015

The Spring Bulb Pot - Crocus, Shogun tulips and Muscari

The crocus Sieberi Tricolour were a vision, so bright and vibrant
Spring is virtually sprung.  I can see it in huge fat buds in pots all over my garden poised for the opening, just waiting for a bit of sun and a little warmth to coax them out. However, one set of bulbs is leading the pack and providing the only visual display at the second.  The traditional spring pot, as ever, is doing us proud.

The scene from the top.  At this stage the pot has a very purple, yellow and white colour scheme, but this changed!

Last year the spring pot was one of the first things I featured on here, in a brief post that provided a snapshot of it at one moment in time.  It was a vision of pink and purple and white and was a triumph.  However what it doesn't show is that the spring pot is an ever changing beast, as the bulbs are chosen to progressively come up, rather than all burst through at once and then be gone.

My favourite Spring flower, the glorious little grape hyacinth, shame its purple
So in light of this, I have been photographing this pot of joy at different stages of its evolution.  Being that it is the beginning of April there hasn't been that many stages, but we have definitely had two.
The first involved a lovely show of crocus.  The crocus Sieberi Tricolour appeared in about the third week of February, when all the other crocus generally appear.  Crocus appear everywhere, like on verges by roadsides, so aren't particularly special.  These ones were a little different though as they each consisted of the three colours generally found in crocus, but all present in the same flower.  The centres were bright yellow with a ring of pure white surrounding it, with the petals quite dark purple around that.  Being that the polyanthus are still out and mirror some of the colours in the crocus, white and yellow, this made a rather nice show.
A Shogun tulip struggling its way out, but a lovely burnt orange

The crocus of course, couldn't last forever.  There were a few weeks of just polyanthus, which is fine, but not terribly exciting.  Then suddenly last week a whole bunch of muscari popped up.  I didn't see them sneak above ground, so one day they weren't there, and the next day they were.  Muscari armeniacum are as always, cute as pie.  I love a good grape hyacinth.  I love the colour, I love the structure, hell I love the name.  However my pet peeve has re-emerged its ugly head.  I hate it when you buy a bulb according to the picture on the packet, and then the flower appears and its a completely different colour.  The packet said they would be light blue, and I thought wont that be nice, light blue muscari.  Have I got light blue muscari?  Have I ever.  They have flowered in exactly the same colour as muscari always are, a dark purpley blue.  Which is fine, but not what I thought I was getting.

I really chose the colours carefully for this pot this year, and have gone for something completely different to the purple and pink of last year.  This years is yellow, orange and blue.  I hoped this would not be a disaster, having taken creative control for the first time.  Well the muscari were joined a few days later by a lovely egg-yolk yellow tulip which contrasts brilliantly.  It couldn't look more spring like if it tried.  The shogun tulips are a wild variety apparently, and although they haven't opened properly yet, I already love them.  So at the moment its a lovely spring scene, but it is set to continue.  Il be back with an update when everything else pops up and it will look completely different.    

At this stage the whole feel of the pot has completely changed, there is a lot more height and a lot more greenery

No comments:

Post a Comment