Wednesday 29 April 2015

South Downs Walk - Lambs!

The South Downs and sheep, a winning combination
The weather in the UK has recently been glorious producing hot, sunny, perfect summers days.  Only its not summer, its April.  I have been loving it but the narcissi don't know whats hit them.  They exploded all at once, fried in the sun and then frizzled to a crisp.  I have to remind myself to go outside and enjoy them or they will just be gone.

A pair of woolly cuties in the woods
While it is tempting to use the window of sun to crack on with the endless jobs in the garden on my to-do list, it is also important to enjoy it, so while on Saturday I worked like a dog in the garden, on Sunday I took to the hills.

Two lambs going for a little stroll, makes it look like one has brown socks on

The South Downs run alongside the South East coast of England, a chalky ridge of hills rising up to meet the sea.  My grandparents lived in these downs when I was a child, so I returned here to enjoy the views, and the lambs!

You can't have spring without lambs; joyous little bundles of wool.  One of the fields we walked through were full of them.  I love that you can get quite close to them before they look at you and think "mummy", turning tail and promptly returning to the side of a nearby unbothered sheep.  I believe mummy gets pretty bothered if you do go too near mind you.

Mummy! Feed me
I love a good lamb, especially with mint sauce! No I jest, I am a vegetarian so I feel no guilt seeing them bounce around.  I think they are just so full of innocent joy, and can't help but bring a smile on even the most saddest of days.  But then thats the charm of babies in general I guess. This one was a particularly mouthy individual, bleating away to nobody in particular.
This one was so noisy! You can see his little mouth open bleating away, I don't know if he had lost his mum 

Another highlight was hearing a woodpecker going nuts in the trees, hammering away. Unfortunately I couldn't see him but he certainly made his presence known!

My man and a sheep having a bit of a stare-off

And then there was the view of the sea; beautiful.  I love it up here, its just so peaceful.  Its also very near one of the top suicide spots in the world, so maybe not glorious for everyone, but on this particular Sunday it was perfect.  We just had such a lovely day out; lunch at a pub and then a poodle through the fields to the sea, so English but so nice.
The South Downs looking out to sea, beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment