Friday 16 January 2015

Spring hyacinth bulbs- a bad case of rot

I really don't know what the one at the back thinks its up to, or the one at
the front actually, other than rotting gently
Really however you look at it, this tale of hyacinths in a tale of woe.  My previous post on hyacinths, located here, outlined two key points, namely that I don't like them and that I don't plant them.  As I have not had a hand in growing these bulbs I have not been lurking around the garage checking progress every few days, but obviously Im not going to say no to a few bulbs brightening up the corner of a dull room at this time of year.  Therefore it was very sad that the hyacinth bulbs the mother planted have turned out to be a complete disaster.

On checking the progress of said bulbs one day in the garage it became evident that all was not entirely well, although at this stage we were making a fuss about nothing.  Three buds were growing and swelling just as they should, but one was not a happy chappy.  Still small and clearly not doing a great deal, it became obvious that it would be far behind the other three.  The mother informed me at this point that she had never actually managed to get four hyacinths in full bloom standing tall like mini Marge Simpson hair-dos at once, and lamented that yet again this year, it would only be three.  If only we had known at this point what was in store...

This is such an intense shot of colour, but I don't think its going to get any bigger.  I did read that not producing a proper flower is a sign that the bulb wasn't kept right before they go on sale
The pot was eventually brought in and we awaited bloom-age.  Finally one burst into flower.  The only problem is it seemed to burst into flower horizontally rather than vertically.  The flower stalk was leaning right across the pot, literally leaning over another of the buds.  I don't remember being aware of this bulbs' desire for an unusual direction in life before this point, but the stalk had not simply collapsed so it must have done.  There was to be no convincing to change direction.  At the same time, another of the buds was beginning to flower, bit also rotting at the same time.  Both the petals and leaves were decidedly soggy, with the blue petals rapidly turning yellow.  It could not be saved, so it was cut off to protect the others from whatever was affecting this one incase it was catching.

This was as good as it got, and it was quite good, albeit briefly.  The bottom flower was just getting a little
variation in colour through age
So we have one down, and one horizontal.  Another bud managed to actually properly pop out so, for a time, had a nice little display going on.  The last bud popped as well, and even though I don't think this will ever form a proper big flower, it is such a deep dark blue purple that it is still attractive.  But then disaster.  If you thought it couldn't get any worse, you were wrong.  Both stems, which by the way are surprisingly thick, although all bulbs seem to have good solid stems, suddenly rotted right through.  One flower had to be chucked and the other is now residing in a vase of water which just about works but looks a bit funny.  The pot with its final partially open bud surrounded by wilted drooped leaves looks very sad.

Oh dear, this is really the spring display we were looking forward to when we planted them!
I don't know where it all went so wrong, but I can avoid all blame as I didn't grow them!  Maybe they were duff bulbs, maybe they were over watered, maybe there was a problem with the bulb fibre; I just don't know.  If anybody does have a clue, feel free to let me know!  The mother has resolved to grow hyacinths next year in water in hyacinth vase as she thinks they grow better that way.  I personally can't comment, but hyacinths definitely are not doing whats required to win a place in my heart, although I will still try the black ones outside next year.
Im totally over indoor bulbs now, apart from my final beauty which I will share with you next week, come on spring get on with it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment