Tuesday 6 January 2015

Fuchsia Round Up 2: All the whites

Part 2 of my fuchsia round ups is going to begin with me saying this: If you have one frilly white fuchsia you do not need to be going to buy any more.  I apparently had five completely white, or thereabouts, varieties.  I say apparently because its only the fact that I kept the plug plant labels that I know this.  Truth be told, one frilly white fuchsia looks much like another, despite the varying stripes of green or splashes of pink here and there.  I will be differing slightly from my previous format of talking about each variety in depth because I can't with these five.  In my memory they have basically all merged into a single variety, apart from Upright Annabel because she distinguished herself from the pack by being was less frilly.  Thats how you stand out from a crowd apparently, by being the frill-less plain Jane.  I even had to resort to comparing the pictures on the labels with my own photographs to distinguish between them.

Annabel, bit of pink, long dangling sepals, not much else to say
Upright Annabel- I think.  The 'upright' element of the name refers to the growing habit but to be perfectly honest, apart from the real droopy trailers that are over the edge of the pot and off across the floor before you can turn round, I can't say that there is a noticeable difference between the rest.  Despite being a bit of a plain Jane, I actually rather like old Annabel.  Simple and refined, but with proportionally long sepals that are shown to curl up on my old packet, but in reality rather hung down hiding the petals like saggy dogs ears.

Sarah Eliza- My pick of the bunch, but then she's not strictly white
Southern Belle Trailing Sarah Eliza- This would be my pick of my white varieties, probably because its mainly pink.  I think the contrasting sepals and stamen in a surprisingly bright shade of pink make it fun zingy variety.  The problem is, and I don't know why I always make this assumption, but I expect Southern Belles to be real whoppers.  Sarah Eliza is decently proportioned, but she is no larger lady.  Turn her over and I think she has a really delightful undercarriage, but as you can't see that unless you get a little handsy it shouldn't really be factored in.

Look at that for a bottom: frilly, ruffled with a flash of pink.  Whats not to like?  Apart from my prematurely ancient hand in the background

For my other three varieties I can't tell you anymore than the pictures can! Southern Belle Pink Marshmallow, Trailing Trudi Davro, and Southern Belle Upright Happy Wedding Day are white fuchsias, fairly ruffled, fairly large but not huge and otherwise completely lost amongst my crowds of pots.  I don't dislike them but they haven't really registered on my radar.  If one wanted a white fuchsia to make up a hanging basket or window box or something they would be perfectly acceptable.

Think its Trudi Davro, really couldn't be sure.  The packet showed the sepals down and mine are most certainly up!
But again; lovely bottom.  The dusky pink of the stigma is actually rather lovely
No idea what this is, it doesn't match any of the above three varieties
This looks like the most likely candidate for Happy Wedding Day

Next time in my Round up part 3 its back to some colour thankfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment