Tuesday 27 January 2015

Fuchsia round up 5: Deep purple


Deep purple; a glamorous beauty
If you were looking for a fuchsia that really is a show stopper, or a real 'bobby dazzler' as it might be known in the UK, then look no further than 'Deep Purple'.  Who ever bred this variety could grow fuchsias, they just weren't terribly original with the naming.  Its a deep purple colour... so lets call it 'deep purple'.

There are two things that set this fuchsia apart from the masses.  One is the colour; deep intense royal purple set against absolute driven snow white sepals.  The contrast can only be described as eye catching. However the purple is more interesting than just a solid colour.  Where the petals join the sepals the bold purple blends seamlessly into hot pink and its all very pretty.  Then the stamens are again pure white contrasting with the surrounding ruffles.

Its undeniably huge
The other thing is the pure size.  I would probably say deep purple is the fuchsia in my collection with the biggest flowers on the whole.  They are simply massive.  To give an idea of its true scale I have photographed it next to a biro pen.  While that is not a terribly glamorous measuring stick I have more than once bought a fuchsia on the strength of an online picture thinking it would be massive and been sadly disappointed.  A biro is a fairly standard size universally I believe.  Its basically the size of the palm of my hand, and I have big lady hands.


Deep purple is a trailing variety.  Im not sure whether its meant to be a trailer but the monstrous blooms hang heavily over the side of the pot like parachuters who haven't quite made the ground, although I have found some before now that have sagged right onto the floor.

They can't help but hang heavily like curtain tassels.  They really are solidly built
The blooms are so big that it was actually possible to wedge my camera right up into the frills and I got a little involved in taking some arty pictures that actually show it off rather well.  So for once Im going to button it here and let my photos sell this baby because those purple frills can show themselves off far better than I can describe them.




No comments:

Post a Comment