Thursday 15 January 2015

Planting hyacinth Bulbs

Not the most scintillating photo I have ever included I will admit, but it is the windowsill in the garage after all.
Quite obviously a pot of four hyacinth bulbs
More bulbs!  Surprise surprise, although these are different from my previous recent endless bulb posts for three reasons:

a) I didn't plant them
b) I don't like hyacinths
c) They should be out soon

You may recall last spring that I expressed my distaste for all spring bulbs, particularly hyacinths.  That opinion has largely changed but alas, not for the poor old hyacinth.  Left to me I wouldn't grow them, but they appeal to the mother for some reason and so she snuck off on a visit to a garden centre when I was busy captivated by daffodils and bought four.  They are all 'Delft Blue' which is a deep blue, her favourite colour of hydrangea.  I actually think it might be the colour selection that I don't like.  I have seen some rather fabulous black ones that maybe I should have a go at next year.  She also bought a bag of paperwhite narcisssus, which is fine because I do like a pot of them indoors over the winter period.

Next came the pot search, she used to plant hyacinths in this revolting mustard coloured pot that was only ever used for this purpose, but its vanished, thank god.  And no, I did not have a hand in its disappearance.  So she had to buy another one and a pot for the paperwhites.  I approve of her choice; simple, sleek, black.  Considering the mother and I differ on taste over many things, I will admit she knows how to choose a pot.  If the flowers are going to be pale like the narcissus, black shows them off to a tee.
Weirdly this photo almost demonstrates the growth of the shoot, from what the bulbs originally look like when planted on the left, to a solid green snout emerging from the top of the bulb on the right
I haven't got any pictures of the planting process as I was taking a nap at the time, the same one as when the mother pinched a terracotta pot for her hydrangea.  She was very active that day.  Im not a regular napper but starting a new job has left me kind of knackered.  I was in the garden when the need overwhelmed me, I just about removed my wellies before flopping onto the sofa still in my coat.
The bulbs are in fibre; bulb fibre.  Never having been a bulb fan before, I was unaware of the existence of this substance up until now.  I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that plants are fussy things.  If I invest in a great big bag of compost I expect to be able to stuff absolutely everything into it.  But no, bulbs want fibre.  After a little research I now know that bulb fibre lacks the nutrients in normal compost because bulbs already have everything they need and want packed into the personal suitcase that is the bulb.  These things come prepared apparently.  The bulb fibre just provides a bit of support to hold the bulbs in place as they grow while retaining moisture.

Not having been there at the time, I asked the mother how she planted them.  "With their noses out" was her incredibly detailed reply.  What she actually did was place a layer of bulb fibre underneath the bulbs, space them out so they didn't touch each other or the sides of the pot, then fill in with more fibre until only the very top of the bulb was visible above the soil, or the snout as the mother calls it.
They then want to be placed in the dark at a cool temperature for six weeks.  For us this means the pot gets wedged in the garage between boxes of paint and car washing sponges, with a layer of newspaper over the top as our garage unhelpfully has a window.  This encourages the bulb to put done a nice root system before it sets about making flowers.  This is where we are currently up to, they were planted a few weeks ago now and are still hanging out in the garage and will be for the forseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment