Sunday 12 October 2014

New Horizons

There are many beautiful places in Britain, and I have in no way seen all of them but there is one view that in my opinion is the absolute best.  Running through the centre of Sussex, a county right at the bottom of England is a line of hills called in a typically English fashion, the South Downs.  Yes the downs are up.  Just like when I was at school the 'under' was confusingly a room on the first floor above the dining room.  I love all the downs, the view from anywhere on top of it is simply beautiful, but Devils Dyke is probably my favourite spot.  It also holds special significance for being the location of my first date with my boyfriend, aww how romantic; yuck.  I have no idea why it has such a creepy name, it is simply a few walks along the top of the downs boarded on either side by incredibly steep slopes complete with a pub for lubrication and cows to moo at you while your trying to have a romantic moment.  Yep had only been on the date for about four minutes when a friendly cow decided to join us on our walk mooing incessantly, it definitely broke the tension.

These pictures are looking out over the flatter lower parts of Sussex with the usual English patchwork quilt of fields in various shades of green with tiny white clad figures playing cricket into the evening, showing a summers sunset.  It was a beautiful evening, I can't remember whether we had wet our whistles in the pub beforehand but I always enjoy just sitting in the grass and contemplating life while looking at the view.  I remember thinking about my life decisions such as deciding to move back home after university rather than moving up to London as almost all my friends did for work.  The simple fact is I love the countryside and I didn't want to move into the city, but in doing so I wondered whether I had made the right decision.  At the time I had already started to wonder whether I had made the right career decisions doing design as I was not enjoying my job any more.



Which is why I feel these pictures are appropriate for explaining why it has been very quiet around these parts in the last week or so.  Quite simply life has just got in the way as it does occasionally and I have been preoccupied with stuff I have to do rather than things I would like to do such as blogging.  A couple of weeks ago I quit my job so that today I could start a journalism internship.  While this blog is just a bit of fun allowing me to share my love of the green things in life with others, it has made me realise that I want to write for a living.  So sometimes you just have to go for it and make a drastic change that scares the pants off you.  My blogging has suffered as I am changing where I write it and store all the photographs so it is taking a little while to get switched over.  Other than that it should return back to normal with a post every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  Being a poor scheduler I have a backlog of vegetable posts to put up but also loads of bulb bits, garden visits and holiday snaps coming up, and I will still be getting out in my garden if only it would stop raining...

No comments:

Post a Comment