Wednesday 29 October 2014

Happy halloween!

Look, he's just so happy to see you!
Ok I cheated, I did not grow this pumpkin it came from the supermarket.  I would grow my own but I a. simply do not have room for a pumpkin patch, and b. don't like eating pumpkins and therefore am not willing to give valuable garden space to such a revolting (in my opinion) vegetable, although actually I believe its technically a fruit.  I spotted it on a visit to the supermarket across the road from my work one lunchtime, and strolled around with it tucked under one arm hoping none of my colleages spotted me.  Luckily the only one I did see was completely enthralled in a display of orchids (he bought 3 last week he appears to be rather taken with them) so didn't spot me as I strolled on by with my little orange friend.

Unless you are under the age of ten, halloween is not a particularly big thing in the UK.  You see the odd trick-or-treater, the odd carved pumpkin but thats about it.  I understand that in the US its huge and there are fields and fields full of pumpkins, but thats difficult for me to imagine.  If you want to see a good old fashioned English tradition there is one next week that is very impressive!

I couldn't ignore halloween altogether, so I thought I would make a jack o lantern, but a smiley one!  Because he and I are pleased to see you, truly.  Being part mole I would merrily spend half my time in mud anyway, but I always enjoy seeing that people have popped in to see what I am up to.  Please do keep coming back, Im not going anywhere and have tonnes of stuff lined up that I have been up to.

Being an ex-designer I couldn't resist trying to make him the best I could.  Other people would have gone in, gung-ho and hacked in some eyes and spikey teeth.  But not me no, two hours that baby took me, skinning the teeth and eyes, some serious dentistry went into that.  I did some research and thought that skinned teeth looked really cool.  My super sore finger no longer agrees with me, but I do think he is pretty cute.  I particularly enjoy the nose of burning pumpkin that comes with the territory.

Happy Halloween!
Anyway, me and young pumpey here wish you a very happy halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment