Monday 20 October 2014

Bell Peppers- Theoretically Red and Orange, in reality green




Considering during the Spring I had an almost continuous stakeout at a seedling tray praying to the Gods of germination and growth to aid me in this difficult time of pepper seedling production, and the slug debacle?  Remember that? Read it here if not, when every seedling was devoured and I did something in revenge that I am not proud of.  Considering slugs died in this cause, considering all of that, I have been remarkably unmoved by the continuous quiet production of peppers all summer by the two plants I bought, sat by the wall making little fuss.

I think the reason for this is, truth be told, I don't particularly like peppers.  Yes I enjoy green ones in a rather nice black bean stir fry I make occasionally, but other than that quite honestly they have a tendency to make me burp.

I actually rather like pepper flowers, very sweet and simple but with really open wide middles (technical term there) where the mini pepper starts swelling out from
So when every so often I pluck a nice little green pepper off a plant, for despite having both red and orange varieties every single pepper has remained resolutely green without so much as a blush of colour, I am left thinking; now what.  Some have made it to the table and were delicious, if faintly windy.  Others Im sad to admit I found mouldering weeks later in the bottom of the fridge, shrivelled like a mummified body and well past edible stage.  Even now there is a perfectly nice pepper sat on the side, my last as all flowers are over and I have no desire to eat it at all.

























I finally turfed the plants out of their pots and into the compost at the weekend.  It may be a warmer than usual October but it was time to get real about continuing pepper prospects.  I was quite surprised to find extensive root systems in the pots, almost at the point of being root bound.  This would suggest that maybe peppers would prefer slightly larger living accommodation.  Good job I didn't wedge two in each pot as I had originally planned!

Good and shiny, but also rather worryingly always with a small hole in
as well, never a resident in the pepper but somebody has passed through
So will I be growing peppers again as I take such disinterest in their produce?  Probably.  Although possibly in bigger pots.  Unfortunately the thrill is in the growing not necessarily the produce so I doubt I will be able to resist trying from seed again next year.  I will just have to make stir fry more regularly in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment