Wednesday 22 October 2014

Delta Star F1- One good looking cucumber


Every cucumber is the exact same size, shape and colour.  And it only breeds twins!

Cucumbers hardly seem relevant any more as I shiver my way around the garden with temperatures finally beginning to plummet.  I finally threw my cucumber plants away at the weekend and it was a sad time, but also a messy one.  Endless rain had resulted in waterlogged pots that were a dream to empty; mud pies all round.
A while ago now I wrote a post on my La Diva cucumber which had done me proud and I meant to follow it up with a post on my other cucumber Delta Star F1, but time waits for no man they say, and somehow its now October.  But being proud of every last cucumber I produce I am still going to share them here.
I had a bit of a thrill after my last posting as Gardener's Kitchen, the company who grew and sold my two bought cucumber varieties saw that post, read through my blog and found that I was growing Delta Star outside.  Im not sure I exactly wanted them to know that I was foolishly attempting to grow an indoor cucumber outside, but they seemed a little surprised!  They tweeted me (im at @Basicallyitsgro if you want to find me) asking how I got on.  To say I was thrilled was an understatement, but then I am truly sad.

See there it is again, producing two at once.  It only seemed capable of maintaining two at once so all the extra baby ones forming here in the picture would have dropped off at a later date.
Luckily, somehow, my Delta Star plant did all right.  It didn't seem to notice the lack of glass wall around it and happily produced cucumbers all summer long.  Not anywhere near the record of 158, but more than enough to keep the salad drawer filled.  I kind of think this cucumber is the blonde bimbo (I apologise for this sexist comparison but may I say at this point that I am blonde) of the cucumber world.  Very good looking and excellently put together, but really really stupid.  Stupid enough not to notice it was outside.  Don't get me wrong, my patio is exceptionally sheltered and warm but its no greenhouse.
Well what'dya know? Two again!  They have a wonderful enlarged plumpness like they have been slightly overstuffed rather than the usual skinniness found in cucumbers
This I feel, is Delta Star's main selling point.  Yes they tasted good, but I would probably pick La Diva for its slight minty after taste, but every single cucumber was beautiful.  Roughly six inches of green water based vegetable that fitted perfectly into the palm of the hand.  I maybe grew them a little large resulting in slightly tough skins and large, choking hazard seeds, but then I like a big one.  And not a spine in sight, perfect.  I really don't get why cucumbers are prickly but I do not find it appetising.  Every one was identical, and like the animals in Noah's arc, they came two by two.  It only seemed to be able to produce them in pairs resulting in salad drawer scheduling issues when I would have a little drought followed by a bounty.  But despite the lack of greenhouse, production was frequent so between it and  La Diva my cucumber appetite was met.

The perfect size to hold in your hand
Would I grow it again?  Definitely, as long as the next plant also didn't notice it was outside.  Howevcr I seem to have got a little spendy on the cucumber seeds for next year and having honed my technique Im hoping not to have to buy any plants at all, although I clearly will.

1 comment: