Wednesday 4 June 2014

The bush I believe is a Lilac...



Hedge with flowering bush


When I took these photos maybe a month and a half ago, it wasn’t meant to be a big thing.  All these pink flowering bushes appeared on my journey to work, I liked the colour, I liked the shape of the flower spikes; it appealed.  I was just going to post a few pictures, write the odd line, but then I realised a flaw in my plan.  I did not have a clue what these bushes were.  I did some Googling which brought no joy and I kept delaying the post hoping inspiration would strike.  Eventually I turned to the knowledge that is my mother, who in turn whipped out a shockingly dated looking copy of a ‘Concise Guide in Colour- Ornamental Shrubs’.  In colour no less!  Eventually it was decided that they had to be Lilac bushes, not that the book was much use, if it is a Lilac the illustrator had a warped sense of colour.  In fact I wouldn't recommend the book at all because the pictures are rubbish.  But we could still be wrong, so feel free to correct me if we are.
I have no experience of Lilacs apart from what I have seen from the road, which is that they grow into quite a large bush with flowering spikes all over it.  However this particular one was singled out for attention as I like how its been incorporated into an otherwise plain hedge.  Having obviously been trimmed at the side to fit the width of the hedge it only flowers on the top like a rather pleasing head of hair.  I think there is something rather Marge Simpson about the flower tufts, only pinker.   So enjoy this inspired use as hedging material and know that a lot of consideration went into this rather short and non-eventful post. 

On a complete cheery uplifting side note apparently (according to the mother again) it is a superstition that you should never bring white lilac into the house.  Google tells me that this is because it had a particularly pungent smell of all the lilacs and was used to mask the pong of the dead.  You learn something new every day...


No comments:

Post a Comment