Thursday 12 June 2014

A vision of blue- Ceanothus (maybe!)

If thats not blue I don't know what is




Although having said that it is nudging close to being purple...

At the end of April this year, I couldn’t help admiring and photographing my neighbour’s bush, not something I like to be seen to be doing too often.  Helpfully it is situated round the side of her house right next to the path for easy access.  It was just such an incredibly vivid and vibrant shade of blue with lovely clouds of flowers making it a beautiful plant at a distance.  Up close it is equally interesting with dots of yellow contrasting like a designer’s dream against the blue and with the odd splodge of pink unopened flowers in the mix as well. 

My plant knowledge is better than the average bod in the street but tends to be limited to things I have in the garden personally.  Thus I identified this as a Hebe, hence why I have called it this in my tumblr post, but after a quick confer with the mother she said it wasn’t but was incredibly unhelpful in any further identification.  So to Google I went, and I believe, and I could easily be wrong here and probably am, that it is a Ceanothus, or Californian Lilac.  This makes sense as it was out at the same time as the other Lilac I photographed.  Who knew there was so much of it going around?!  I have never heard of it before so that’s where my knowledge ends, but who cares what it is; it’s blue and beautiful.  I really appreciate a plant that goes for colour in a big way and I think its fair to say my little friend here has.


No comments:

Post a Comment