Wednesday 2 April 2014

Muscari: A new spring favourite



I have a dirty secret, I am not actually a fan of spring bulbs.  I know, blasphemer, but snowdrops, crocus and hyacinths just leave me cold.  I can just about tolerate a tulip but I am afraid I am a complete daffodil snob.  This year however one little bulb has won me over: The Muscari flower, or aptly named Grape Hyacinth... How cute!  

Its blue and I can’t resist anything that’s blue, but it’s the little rounded segments that I particularly like, I find round things very pleasing on the eye... except the boyfriend... he’s not allowed to be round... Add in a topknot in a contrasting shade? Im sold!

I can’t remember ever seeing one before, obviously have but must have just been blind to its charms. Now I am literally seeing them everywhere, they seem almost as common as daffodils.  I came out of my usual daze on my drive to work long enough to spot the steps leading to this house which are literally covered in Grape Hyacinths and I think it looks really rather pretty.  Simple but effective if you will.  There was also a real cluster either side of a gate further on.  How have I missed them in the past?!  I felt like a complete wierdo diving out of the car to take a quick picture of the front of these houses, but I had a need to share.  Apparently these spread all over the joint, hence why they grow in such number but I like a carpet of blue.  I have seen some on the Internet in a violent shade of yellow but I think they need to be blue, tiny blue pineapples.  Love them.



No comments:

Post a Comment