Tuesday 20 October 2015

Buying a coldframe

This is all I had to work with last year, basically a bookcase on its side
covered in bubblewrap, but this year I am moving up in the world
I have made a purchase that I am extremely excited about.  At long long last, I have a coldframe of my very own.  Its not quite the ultimate dream of a greenhouse, but it will at least allow me to raise seeds in the winter months, all snuggled up in comfort in their wooden box. But buying what should be a fairly simple garden addition has not been without a little drama! My mother, poor woman, has been through it.

It all started last year. We got a new neighbour next door after the previous couple split and sold up. In came a rather nice elderly lady, and she came complete with coldframe.  There is the odd crack in the fence that can be peaked through, and it sits there on her patio, taunting me.  I got the mother to enquire where she got it.  Turns out her son purchased it for her, which is highly unhelpful for me, but I became determined. A coldframe would be mine!

And so it is now mine!
Last winter I did what I do best and made do.  When I was younger I had a desk in my room, one side of which was constructed like an open bookshelf.  The desk is long gone, but the bookshelf has been used as such for a while, and then was being turfed out when the idea was struck upon to lay it down on bubblewrap on the patio and cover it with fleece and bubblewrap to make a shelter for seeds.  It worked, but it was not glamorous.  It also was a pain to cover up after sunny days and got very wet and messy.  It was also provided an absolute field day for the slugs.  It managed a season, and did me proud, but we threw it out when all the seedlings had moved on which left me with nothing.

Having got use to raising seedlings during the winer, I became even more determined, but I just didn't know where to buy one from.  Online every review I read said the product in question was flimsy and not really worth the price, which made me wary.  I wanted to see the thing in person before making the purchase.  Some helpful soul on twitter suggested just my local garden centre, but the one I usually frequent is pretty small and I have definitely never seen any in there.  Another nearby one did though so I treated myself to this:

Ta-da! Isn't it beautiful? All my seeds are going to be so snug in here
I would have rather liked a huge aluminium one that sits on the ground like a little glass house, but the mother convinced me there would not be enough room.  Instead I got one almost identical to my neighbour's, basically a large wooden-framed plastic box on legs.  Should be good for the back. I was a little concerned about having to screw it all together myself but it turned out to be a piece of cake.  Literally took just twenty minutes. While not the most solid thing in the world, it seems pretty sturdy and should be fine for my wants. Im going to creosote it next weekend to make sure it lasts through the winter, but all in all, im super chuffed.

And it even opens and there is room to store pots underneath
I already have some aquilegia plants I am going to try and overwinter in it, and then I will get started on the sweet peas for next year pretty soon and then all the annuals from January onwards.  I can't wait to fill it up!

Lots of space for seedlings, perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment