Monday 26 October 2015

A pleasing crop of pears


A tree hung with lots of pears is a remarkably pleasing thing

They say you plant pears for your heirs, which would be me as the mother was the one who planted our pear tree. Despite this we have had a considerable crop of pears this year.  There isn't really much to say about growing pears, they really just get on with it on their own which is rather nice, but I couldn't resist sharing a few photos of how well we did this year.

It seems ironic to me that pears actually seem to grow in pairs, but
I do get fearful the branches will buckle under all the weight! 
The pear tree is not terribly big having only been planted a few years ago and stands next to the fence. It blossoms in the spring, as all good fruit trees do, and then sets about making pears. Im sure I have talked before how pear fruits start off growing up the wrong way with their bottoms facing the sky and then as they get older and bigger and heavier they start bending over and then hang down as one would expect.

Our total pear numbers did hit about 19 at one stage I think, although one or two popped off to be lost within a below bush forever, and another couple had to be picked earlier because something was having a nibble, but we still got about 15 pears in the end.  A good solid batch I think you will agree.

Not all uniform size but a good crop even so - this isn't it though
Not sure if our pears are eaters or cookers, I they never get particularly soft and the one I have tasked in the past was hellishly tart, but its homegrown so it was ploughed through! Can't grow it and then not eat it. But I don't actually eat pears on a general basis and so I generally just leave them to the mother to eat.  And therefore she has grown pears for herself and not for me, totally disproving the theory, wherever it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment