Wednesday 3 December 2014

Winter Wakehurst Walk


The other weekend I was feeling terribly cooped up, bored and frankly spendy as I hadn't left the house all weekend.  As the garden was sodden I couldn't get out there so we headed to Wakehurst Place, the National Trust property, for a walk.

The fact that this was even possible was a miracle as it did not stop raining for about two weeks, it was even raining when we headed up there, but a quick detour into the shop gave the sky enough time to briefly dry out and give us a walking window.

To be honest, visiting the shop was pretty much the main reason I went.  They have some nice seed displays in there, amongst pricey books and lots of displays of things you certainly don't need but ultimately end up wanting.  Plenty to nosey through and wile away a wet and miserable Sunday.  How I long for the Spring.  Somehow, buying seeds makes the spring seem nearer, and although it clearly doesn't, I am so prepped and ready for when spring is finally sprung.  Three packets of sweet peas came home with me, none of which I needed as I already have like eleven packets.  I very nearly bought the same variety twice, which just goes to show how much I liked it.  I should be planting some sweet pea seeds soon ready for next year so stay tuned for a sweet pea selection post and a bit of planting coming soon.

As it had been so incredibly damp and dreary I didn't really expect very much but actually we had a nice little trot round.  There were some beautiful vivd colours in some leaves, as arty farty as that sounds.  I didn't take many photos, but even these few will break up the bulb monotony that has been going on round these parts recently.  Its so nice to have pictures that are not of round brown things.
The bark rubbing off revealing the red wood underneath and the moss growing over the top I thought made rather a lovely combination of colours, turning the tree into a gradiated colour chart.  Obviously these are just 'visual delights', Im hardly about to plant a giant redwood in my garden any time soon or suggest that anyone else does.  The staff at Wakehurst have recently spent quite a while stringing lightbulbs round a redwood like this from a great height in a cherry picker. I will try and get a picture when they flip the switch in the near future.


Everybody loves a rusty leaf, me included.  Theres not much to say about this tree, other than Its a lovely shade of yellow orange.


Despite having been to Wakehurst many many times, I have never noticed before how many Japanese maples they have there.  Of course at this time of year they really make their existence known with their marvellous blood red leaves, if you get the light behind them they almost glow.

I presume this is not all one plant, as there is a combination of dead seed heads amongst clearly alive leaves and even the odd bright yellow flower.  I have no idea what either plants are but together they make quite the textural scene.

So after this brief escape from planting, its back to the bulbs for me!  Nobody grew anything strolling around on a Sunday afternoon after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment