Wednesday 10 December 2014

My discovery of Amaryllis bulbs

That is some serious stemmage going on there! And a cute baby stem
I don't profess to be a horticultural expert, I get by, but my knowledge is on the whole better than most.   So when my work colleague complained that the plant she had bought to pep up her desk had died, I was able to tell her after a quick prod of the soil that she had over watered it.  So it saddens me that until very recently, ie two weeks ago, I was completely unaware of the existence of Amaryllis.  How, I don't know, because what a bulb!  I am mystified as to how it has escaped my notice up until now.
I only came across it when I was trawling the internet having discovered hyacinths can be black, and was investigating what colours other than the usual blue and insipid pastels there are.  Sorry hyacinths.  Somewhere was a picture of a mighty amaryllis; tall, statuesque, and faintly ridiculous.  Suddenly I had a need for one and bemoaned the fact that I thought I had missed my opportunity for this year.
It turns out, I had not.  We went out later that very same day, not specifically to get an Amaryllis, because that really would have been a bit obsessive to be like "I must have one!" and zoom straight out the door.  I actually went to get a new car headlight bulb and popped into Wilkinsons for a bargain.  Wilkinsons, if your not from round these parts, is a shop that sells household items like bleach and laundry bins for very reasonable prices usually.  I didn't find any bargains on this occasion, but there right by the entrance positioned almost as if they knew I was coming was a stand of amaryllis.  Like a pig for truffles I was straight in there, rifling through the prepackaged boxes for a colour I liked.  I went for blah, attracted by the hint of pink on white, and for four pounds was thrilled.
My amaryllis purchasing did not end there though.  After Wilkinsons we stopped off at my usual garden centre for pebbles and glass vases.  It was a complete bun fight in there, an offer was on and the hoardes had descended to buy their christmas baubles.  On a hunt for another pot for bulbs I found more amaryllis and thought in for a penny, in for a pound.  These were far more advanced with a full spike at least fifteen inches long, and a second spike on the way.
So now I have two which should come out in succession over the christmas period.  I actually can not wait and will be back with pictures of the huge flowers as soon as they are out!

The enormous flower head getting ready to burst!

No comments:

Post a Comment