Tuesday 8 July 2014

There is always room for one more tomato plant

So you know how it is, you pop into the garden centre for one item, weaving the trolley at speed through the slow shoppers you inevitably encounter at these places (they do attract a slightly more mature cliental than a nightclub would lets say, I like to go to feel young and smug) and whilst dashing through the rows of vegetables plants I had a weak moment and threw a couple of extra in.  I did not go for vegetables, in fact im all set for veggies.  And yet, ignoring already existing space and overcrowding concerns on the patio area, as well as significant time constraints, I couldn’t leave them behind.   
Amongst the tomato plants for sale were a beefsteak tomato variety, I don’t have one of them I thought, and I like a good beefy tomato so I had to have it.  I couldn’t resist the opportunity to see the fruits swelling to huge proportions before my very eyes.  The variety is rather originally named ‘Big Boy’ (oo er, that’s definitely my kind of name!).  Seeing as I have so little faith in my own growing ability with peppers I threw another one of them in as well, only a red/green specimen this time.  They haven’t even bothered to name this one so I can’t tell you what it is, unless its sneakily on the back of the label which I will have to check. 

Finally, there were only a couple of trays of mangetout left and despite the fact that I really don’t have anymore room in my pea patch I just couldn’t leave them there looking lonely.  I really don’t know where Im going to wedge these in, the fuchsias may find themselves pot sharing at this rate!  Here’s hoping mangetout Oragon Sugar Pod is worth the extra hassle I have just given myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment