Tuesday 6 June 2017

Taking on an allotment


A lot can be achieved in a garden, especially when the local handyman can be convinced to 'accidentally' remove your mother's line of prized bushes, leaving a nice bit of land to grow more cosmos than one person really needs and a steady supply of summer beans.

But a garden has its limitations. With the best will in the world, you cannot ram a squash plant in amongst your mother's rose bushes and expect good results. And I know you can grow all sorts of vegetables in containers, but its a lot of watering.

I didn't blog much last year for many reasons, one of which being that there is only so many ways to put tulips in a pot and I felt a little uninspired. That and planting more than a hundred cosmos plants is incredibly time consuming.

This year has seen many changes, including changing jobs and moving house - a very stressful combination I have discovered. The most exciting change by far though (no offence to the boyfriend I have moved in with) is the acquisition of my very first allotment.

With 112.5m of prime Surrey real estate at my disposal the opportunities are endless. This new venture has inspired me to get back to blogging and share my tales from the allotment.

Here it is back in March when I had but a fork and a weed to my name
I have had the plot for a few months now and things are progressing well. I have already learnt a lot, including that my plot's previous tenant had a series thing for horseradish judging by the amount he left behind.

Continuing the spirit of change, this will be my last blog on Basically its Growing. I have made a fresh start here at The Beanyfiend. Join me for surprisingly juicy tales from the allotment, and I'm not talking about the fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment