Friday 24 July 2015

Visiting Hampton Court flower show - show highlights

One of the many weird and wonderful sights at Hampton Court Flower show this year.  Really whoever put this together should be commended for authenticity in the planting, looks real to me  
My absolute favourite day of the year is Hampton Court flower show.  This occurred a few weeks ago, but I have been out of the country and therefore unable to share my thoughts and pictures until now.  This year was my second year on the trot, third in total at Hampton.  Specialty flowers, discounted seeds, nice displays, whats not to like?  Hot weather and slow meanderers, that's what.  Both times I have been recently it has been baking, which is obviously better than wet, but marquees are no places to be with hundreds of people all getting their sweat on.  At least this year I wasn't visibly swaying in the heat from tonsillitis, because that was torturous last year.

I get that gardening is generally the preserve of those more advanced in years, and they generally walk slower, but wow could these people really crawl.  Oh but they sure can get shovy when they want to look at the seeds your currently stationed in front of.  Quite tested my patience which eventually ran out when a man with a big fancy camera decided to do a full photo shoot of a couple of butterflies sat on some daisies I wanted to buy.  I let him take five or six shots from various angles, not in quick succession I might add, before I nabbed the daisy.  It didn't go down well.

So I thought I would share a few snaps of some of the interesting things I saw at Hampton, and then in another couple of posts I will do plants I would like to purchase, and ones I did.  It does not contain many of the show gardens as im not really into them, but there is still the odd delightful display here and there.  I also don't profess to have gone round the whole thing.  There comes a point when the only thing you want to see is the inside of the car to go home.

Who doesn't love a ten foot high big ball of alliums? Just excuse the random
green reindeer in the front
I love the way this nursery showcased their alliums, grouping them together to make super alliums.  They look so wonderfully tactile and I would have loved to whip out a set of steps and nipped up there for a feel.  Also very helpful if your looking for an allium stand from afar.  I wonder why they didn't use more varieties? But still, very cool.  Except the strange green wire reindeer; not cool. Totally don't get that bit.
One half of the old-and-new greenhouse, looking in from outside.  Could easily be the scene of some period drama, romance blossoming in the old lean-too, if only
This pond featured in one of the show gardens.  The inky blackness really shows off the yellow flowers in particular.  I thought it was bizarre that the water appears black because it is actually coloured red.  Not sure anybody would really want a red pond in their garden

One stand seemed to consist of a greenhouse which you could walk through, which was fun.  One half was all old and rundown with plants climbing through the windowless house and broken pots and things.  The other was a spic and span modern greenhouse, presumably showing how it could be restored?  Who knows, the meaning, as always, was completely lost on me.  Personally I would rather the rickety old side because its pretty and romantic, although not conducive for turning tomatoes red.

Meadow grasses combined with herbaceous borders to create... well frankly a little bit of a mess.  I still like it though, but it vaguely makes me want t get in their and weed, and I don't have a tidy garden.
Only two of the show gardens really grabbed my attention.  This one appealed because I like the concept of merging herbaceous borders with meadow grasses.  I can't say it completely works, its best in this photo, but from another angle its almost entirely herbaceous border with random bits of long grass poking through, which looks a tad odd.  I would like to incorporate more grass into my garden, so maybe there is something to learn here.

This is every girls dream, big lusty borders of beautiful flowers, any armful would make quite the boquet.  Id happily take this home.  As long as I could sneak in the odd tomato here and there
The other garden was in my opinion by far the best.  I can't remember which country this was based on, and to be honest I can't really see that it matters.  What matters is that it was really really pretty, which is not something you see in a show garden that often.  They all have hidden meaning and messages and try and be new and different.  Sometimes its refreshing when somebody just embraces girly flowers wholeheartedly.  It would be a nightmare to prune and deadhead, and would only look like this for five minutes before it all gets overgrown, but still its visually pleasing.

Very whimsical, except the front of that hut thing, lets not even talk about that, focus instead on the green
Actually having said there was only two, this one did make me smile.  More like a river at the bottom of the garden in the section you don't really bother with, rather than a garden, I enjoyed the reference to Winnie the Pooh on the bridge, as this is near where I live.

This for me is what Hampton is all about, the layered allium displays.  I love them.
I didn't manage to take as good pictures this year as I did last, but you get the idea
And finally to the strangest thing I saw at hampton.  There literally are no words.
We all know what this looks like, there is no need to go there, but i just don't get why?!!
And finally to alliums.  I wish they grew like this in the garden like a layer cake, but alas this must be constructed.  Alliums just work so well layered up like this, and for me its the enduring image of Hampton.  I just wish I had enough to make one myself!  

No comments:

Post a Comment