Tuesday 24 February 2015

50 packets of seeds

Thompson and Morgan, Mr Fothergills, Suttons, Eagle Sweet Peas, Sarah Raven, and this is not even all of them!

I named this blog 'basically its growing' because that essentially is what plants do.  Except in February, when basically nothing is growing.  I haven't shared what I have been up to for the last couple of weeks because my gardening activities have ground to an absolute halt.  I have no indoor bulbs, my narcissi are resolutely refusing to appear yet (not that I blame them, its freezing) and it’s still a bit early for sowing seeds on any great scale.  So I thought I would take a little blogging break to get my life in order.  I did use the time wisely though to book a little city-break so it was worthwhile.

I have also used the time for another activity; preparation.  Can never be too prepared for the growing season ahead I think, otherwise it catches me unawares and while im considering getting my seed packets out my neighbour is already potting up seedlings.

My main method of preparation has involved just one activity; buying seed.  Oh have I bought seed!  I need to be held back, pinned down, my debit card plucked from my hand and a seed catalogue smacked around the face (I would have said Thompson and Morgan's but Sarah Raven sent me hers the other day because I signed up to get money off an order and boy, is it thick).  I counted the other day; 50 packets.  That’s 50 packets not including the seed I collected myself last year, or the numerous packets left over from last year that are still good to be sown.

I do not need 50 packets, I certainly do not have room!  Im thinking either the lawn is going to have to make way or a little subtle gardening in a neighbours patch may have to happen.  I wonder how the council would feel if I stuck a few sunflowers in the verge outside my house?..   Being as I have no greenhouse either the car may have to give up its space in the garage for the cause.  Not that Im suggesting I will be planting in there, but it is required for mass germination.

I think I have continued to frivolously purchase packets with scant regard for space and time constraints as an outlet for the frustrated gardener in me, cooped up indoors with nothing to do but exercise my flexible friend.  Definitely when it comes to potting up and planting I will regret my decisions, just like I know im going to regret those 40 gladiolus when they turn up soon.  Such a nice idea but in reality a whole world of pain is packaged in those 40 corms.

I know life would be considerably easier, albeit more expensive if I bought plants rather than seed, but for me growing from seed, or do I mean exterminating, is half the fun.  I won’t go into where I bought them and the individual varieties now as that would be information overload, but it is safe to say there will be a lot of seed sowing round these parts over the next few months so stay tuned for that.  I plan to start stuffing them in with earnest from now on as I went and got my seed compost last weekend, exciting times!

3 comments:

  1. And here I was hoping to read the list of what you bought. =) I've bought a lot too but not quite that many. Have fun planting your seeds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah sorry to be a tease! I thought a huge list would be a bit overwhelming so doing it in batches, the last of the sweet peas will be tomorrow and aquilegias on Monday, so keep checking back. Definitely more sensible than me then, I just can't resist, already looking at more!

      Delete
  2. And here I was hoping to read the list of what you bought. =) I've bought a lot too but not quite that many. Have fun planting your seeds!

    ReplyDelete