Friday 26 September 2014

Memories of Summer

Seasons are changing.  Having worked hard on my holiday tan its now hidden under a thick jumper as I feel the cold.  The time for laying stretched out in the sun is gone, and instead we huddle up against the autumnal chill.

Generally when it is all stretched out superman style it is also rolling around squeaking

Looking thoroughly miserable, it was fine it just isn't very photogenic



















It is sitting on the washing up bucket because it resolutely refuses to sit it’s posterior down on the cold patio stones and get a chilly backside.  Plastic being a poor conductor of heat is warmer than the stones, see the cat is smarter than you thought and was obviously listening in science class.



















I miss the summer, with longer lighter evenings where the concept of an evening walk was still a possibility.  I don’t get home until quite late into the evening and it is already virtually dark.  I like going for a walk because it reminds you that there is more going on in the world than just work and your own life, or even humanity as a whole.  Sometimes I think its nice to just go and stand in a field of long grass, disregarded for the year and left to go fallow and think about nothing, watch the grass wave in the wind and the sun go down on the horizon.  This field is a pocket of peacefulness ironically right next to a busy viaduct that slices across the land and provides an incredible view from the top of the field.  Unfortunately it is impossible to photograph and capture the beauty that comes from its sheer enormous scale.  We had to fight through brambles to reach it where as when I did a photography project in it years ago it was a regularly used footpath, funny how fields can fall out of fashion.


These fields have always provided a respite for me from the strains of life.  I once laid down flat on the ground in a field of crop on a beautifully sunny warm day at harvest time, in an already flattened bit if your wondering and listened to the combine harvesters working away somewhere close.  I laid there about an hour, faintly wondering if the combine harvesters might suddenly roar up next to me, but mainly just incredibly peacefully.  I like to go back to that moment in my mind every so often when we are in the depths of winter hopping around freezing in pouring rain.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment