Wednesday 12 March 2014

How I got the gardening bug...



In my second year of uni I suddenly missed green.  Stuck in a city centre flat with not so much as a weed in the tarmac covered back yard I had a sudden compulsion to grow something.  A potted spring bulb came back with me the next time I visited home.  A year later and hidden in my uni room was my own personal garden consisting of about 18 fuchsia plants, watered in a washing up bowl so I didn’t alert my housemates to my slightly unusual hobby.  Eventually they were spotted and assumed to be herbs for my culinary needs, because apparently its fine if its edible, less so when all it does is flower.  When my departure at end of the year was delayed by a flat battery one of my shockingly funny housemates told the RAC man I was growing weed in my room.

Back home and reunited with an actual garden I will be sharing my trials and tribulations attempting to coax stuff to grow here in this little space Iv created.  I do this from a position of limited experience; success with stocks and tomatoes but defeated by the humble cucumber.  My one real area of expertise, my obsession if you will, are my fuchsias and the 50 odd (yes I know thats an obscene number!) plants currently in my collection will no doubt be making regular appearances.  

No comments:

Post a Comment